Psalm 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
Where do you get your advice from? Have you ever had a situation so messed up that you had to talk to somebody about it? Of course, we all have. The issue comes when we are talking to ungodly people with ungodly advice. I am reminded of a time I was waiting on God to save my husband. One of the sisters in the church said, “I couldn’t be you, I would have left him a long time ago.” OK, wait a minute. That doesn’t sound like faith or God. There were a few things wrong with what she said.
- If my desire is to see my husband saved, anything you speak contrary to that does not come from God. I am standing on his promises and his word!
- God hates divorce, so why would you encourage me to leave him? God can fix any marriage with a little bit of faith and a whole lot of patience.
- You are not me and you are not in my shoes, so you don’t know what you would do if you were me. Everyone reacts differently in their situation, one can only speak for them self.
We have to be careful of the advice we get from people. In this case I didn’t even ask any advice from her, she just started asking me questions and felt like telling me her opinion in the matter. Be careful of people who start asking you about your business. Everyone doesn’t mean you well.
- Any time people offer you advice that goes against the word of God, you should walk away.
- If they are offering you advice that didn’t work in their life, don’t attempt it in yours.
- And remember this, misery loves company. Some people just want you to be as miserable as they are, so they want you to be in the same predicament they are in.
Stop following the counsel of the ungodly and start following Christ. He is the only one who will bring you to an expected end full of hope, joy, and everlasting life. Sometimes we just need to walk out the situations we are in and let them mature us. If he brings us out of everything meant to grow us, we will forever remain babes in Christ, with no power! Seek God first and everything else will be added! He will even add godly people to your life who can give you godly advice when necessary. Position yourself around people who will speak life into you. If someone’s advice or so-called encouragement leaves you in a state of confusion, defeat, and bitterness, you just got hoodwinked! That was sent from the enemy. God is not the author of confusion. Rebuke every word planted, pull it out by the root and close your ears to the person speaking in your life. Believe me, you will be much better off!