Many years ago, I read a T.D. Jakes book and there was a statement and question that he asked that always stayed with me. It reads as such: “The Bible says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,” But what if the feet get caught between the steps?”
That is really something to think about. If you are caught between steps, you are not even on a step. You have one foot mid-air which lets me know that you are tired and you need to either keep moving or rest on a step. But that whole scenario brings me to what has been on my mind lately, actually being stuck on a step.
Many of us are in transition and for some strange reason, we are stuck! We have allowed our own personal failures to stop us. We have allowed what people say and think to stop us. We have allowed our lack and inabilities to stop us. Our setbacks, disappointments, and heartaches are stopping us. And we have certainly allowed fear to paralyze us right in the middle of the stairs. So how do we move on from here?
FIRST YOU NEED TO STOP AND TAKE A LOOK AT WHERE YOU ARE.
- If there are 100 steps on the staircase and you are on step # 36, own up to where you are. Whatever is taking place in your life right now is only going to take place on step #36. It is not what you experienced when you first started, and it won’t be what you experience when you end.
- It is a present situation which warrants a present solution. These are the moments where the pain is so unbearable but that you will file for divorce, quit your job, commit suicide, or walk away from everything. On step #36 you cannot make a permanent decision because the situation is only temporary.
- The fact that this step is so painful should make you want to get off of it and move to the next one. Your faith will help push you forward. The reality of it all is you can stay there if you want to, but the situation is on the step. In order to experience something different, you must move to a different step.
- Romans 8:18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
SECOND, YOU NEED TO LOOK AT WHERE YOU CAME FROM.
- Look back at where you started and realize that you do have a choice. You can go back to where you started, but you will not reach your destiny that way.
- Whatever you left at the bottom of the stairs is still going to be there if you return. You will go back to all of the negativity that you were trying to get away from in the first place. You will go back to the drugs, alcohol, depression, and everything that you so desperately wanted to be free from.
- And think about this, if you go back, you will eventually have to start over again because you will never be content until you reach your destiny. It might be familiar to you, but don’t be deceived- it is not where you are meant to be or there never would have been stairs to lead you out in the first place.
- No one wants to go back to start and repeat all of the trials they went through, just to end up on step #36 again. Look back to remind yourself of where you came from, then forget about it and move on.
- Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
FINALLY, YOU NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AT WHERE YOU ARE GOING.
- It may seem far away, but it is there and it is obtainable. Think about what you are feeling right now and imagine that once you get off of these stairs, you will have conquered everything that had a hold on you.
- Look at the height of the stairs you are trying to climb. Don’t view it as hard to reach, but see it as drawing closer to God. The higher up you go, the closer you are to him.
- Think of all of the people who are at the top of those stairs. They are like minded strong people who made it past step #36. They are looking at where you are now and saying, “Come on up here with us. If we could do it, so can you.”
- The flip-side is that the ones still at the bottom are laughing at you saying, “Look at her stuck on that step, she needs to bring her wanna be spiritual self back down here with us.”
- Philippians 3:14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
Ultimately, you need to look at where you are, look back at what you left behind, and look forward to what lies ahead. You are destined for so much greater. You are destined for all of the promises that are in the bible. Find the truth in the word of God. Look unto the hills from whence cometh your help. Find your joy and don’t lose hope. But most of all remember not to get stuck on the steps!! Keep it movin’!